And another one bites the Dust.
Here’s the series numbers:
Still not quite ready to make my picks but I would like to congratulate the Bulls for finishing second in the Eastern conference.
Gibson and Noah were excellent but the Bulls managed to play themselves into a series and not a rout with a bad Hawks team (that’s what fast can sometimes do for you). The MVP should not be getting outplayed by Jeff Teague and Joe Johnson. And before any Hawks fans get offended, Atlanta got outscored by about 4 points a game in the playoffs. Tougher opposition awaits in the next round.
First the links:
- Latest Podcast (new one is recorded and in the queu)
- Smackdown Update
- MVP post.
- 1st round wrap-up and second round picks are up (for some crazy reason I had the Mavs 🙂 )
- Recaps for 1st Round series
- Andres Alvarez with: Bulls-Pacers
- Andres Alvarez with: Thunder-Nuggets
- Heat-76ers by Mosi Platt of the Miami Heat Index:Heat Produced: Breakfast by the Bay
- By Yours truly:Knicks-Celtics
- By Yours truly: Spurs-Grizzlies
- Recaps for 2nd Round series
Then the intro & background.
I’m going to be posting an advanced Box Score during the playoffs
- Basic information: Player , Team, Game ID (Who,what and when)
- Classic Stats:Points ,Shots, Offensive Rebounds, Defensive Rebounds,Steals,Blocks, Assists (Because the classics are classics for a reason).
- Simple spins on classics: % of Team Minutes (player minutes as % of total minutes available), Position (average player position)
- Possesion and Play stats:
- Offensive Plays : Field Goal attempts + .434 Free Throw Attempts + Turnovers
- Usage of Offensive Plays : % of Offensive plays used by player when in the game
- All the classic Offensive Efficiency stats (and some slightly modded ones):
- Effective Field Goal %=(FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA
- True Shooting %=Pts / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA)
- Points per Shot = Pts/FGA
- Points per Offensive Play= Pts/Offensive Plays
- Do it Yourself Offensive Point Margin Stats:
- Offensive Point Margin: this is the marginal value created by the player per offensive play spent. The calculation is:
- OPM = (Points per Play for Player- Avg Points per play for Player for League)*Offensive Plays for Player
- Defensive Point Margin: this is the marginal value surrendered by the player per offensive play spent. The calculation is:
- DPM = (Points per Play for Opponent- Avg Points per play for Player for League)*Offensive Plays for Opponent. I’m doing this one by position averages per game.
- Combined Margin: this is just OPM-DPM
- Rebounding Rates: % of Rebounds on Offense, % of Rebounds on Defense.
- The Classic Wins Produced stats (explained here) and my own opponent adjusted Wins Produced Stats (explained here). The difference? Classic assumes the opposing player is average. Opponent adjusted goes out and checks by position.
Parking Lot items :
- Do DPM based on average points per play for opponent.
- Add other advanced metricss (PER,Win Shares,EZPM, etc.)
Remember kids, my tastes are reflected in this (and they may not line up with yours).
I encourage you to comment and make suggestions as the eventual goal is to build an automatic version of this.
The raw data is here as a google doc (will be updated tomorrow)
Bulls-Hawks Game 6
I’m betting the Bulls are real glad the Carlos Boozer is finally back from that injury. Wait, you mean he’s been playing all this time? Derrick Rose had a good game as well to close out the Hawks on the road. For the Hawks a simple thought : regression to the mean is a bitch.
Now the big question is pending. Who comes out of the East?
You are going to have to wait and see.