Short post tonight. Podcast will be up soon.
Quick reminder before we get to that, Cool stuff is up:
- Smackdown Update
- MVP post.
- 1st round wrap-up and second round picks are up (for some crazy reason I had the Mavs 🙂 )
- Recaps for 1st Round series
- Andres Alvarez with: Bulls-Pacers
- Andres Alvarez with: Thunder-Nuggets
- Heat-76ers by Mosi Platt of the Miami Heat Index:Heat Produced: Breakfast by the Bay
- By Yours truly:Knicks-Celtics
- By Yours truly: Spurs-Grizzlies
- Recaps for 2nd Round series
Intro & Background first.
I’m going to be posting an advanced Box Score during the playoffs
- Basic information: Player , Team, Game ID (Who,what and when)
- Classic Stats:Points ,Shots, Offensive Rebounds, Defensive Rebounds,Steals,Blocks, Assists (Because the classics are classics for a reason).
- Simple spins on classics: % of Team Minutes (player minutes as % of total minutes available), Position (average player position)
- Possesion and Play stats:
- Offensive Plays : Field Goal attempts + .434 Free Throw Attempts + Turnovers
- Usage of Offensive Plays : % of Offensive plays used by player when in the game
- All the classic Offensive Efficiency stats (and some slightly modded ones):
- Effective Field Goal %=(FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA
- True Shooting %=Pts / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA)
- Points per Shot = Pts/FGA
- Points per Offensive Play= Pts/Offensive Plays
- Do it Yourself Offensive Point Margin Stats:
- Offensive Point Margin: this is the marginal value created by the player per offensive play spent. The calculation is:
- OPM = (Points per Play for Player- Avg Points per play for Player for League)*Offensive Plays for Player
- Defensive Point Margin: this is the marginal value surrendered by the player per offensive play spent. The calculation is:
- DPM = (Points per Play for Opponent- Avg Points per play for Player for League)*Offensive Plays for Opponent. I’m doing this one by position averages per game.
- Combined Margin: this is just OPM-DPM
- Rebounding Rates: % of Rebounds on Offense, % of Rebounds on Defense.
- The Classic Wins Produced stats (explained here) and my own opponent adjusted Wins Produced Stats (explained here). The difference? Classic assumes the opposing player is average. Opponent adjusted goes out and checks by position.
Parking Lot items :
- Do DPM based on average points per play for opponent.
- Add other advanced metricss (PER,Win Shares,EZPM, etc.)
Remember kids, my tastes are reflected in this (and they may not line up with yours).
I encourage you to comment and make suggestions as the eventual goal is to build an automatic version of this.
The raw data is here as a google doc (it’s updated)
1 Game only tonight. Kinda nice after the marathon last night.
Bulls-Hawks Game 5
Jeff Teague was the best player on the floor tonight. Yes, Jeff Teague. Not only that but he’s been the hawks best player in the playoffs. Sadly, he plays for the Hawks and the top 4 for the Bulls was better than the second best for the Hawks. The MVP was actually above average tonight.
A few bonuses tonight.
First Wins Produced for the playoffs so far sorted by team:
Second Wins Produced for the playoffs so far sorted by player:
Finally, round two numbers so far: