Cool stuff is coming.
MVP post. Podcast. Be a little patient.
For now a short post.
Before we get to that a quick reminder, the WOW network has done 1st round post mortems for:
- Andres Alvarez with: Bulls-Pacers
- Andres Alvarez with: Thunder-Nuggets
- Heat-76ers by Mosi Platt of the Miami Heat Index:Heat Produced: Breakfast by the Bay
- By Yours truly:Knicks-Celtics
- By Yours truly: Spurs-Grizzlies
More are coming soon.
Oh and my first round wrap-up and second round picks are up. The full WOW picks for round 2 are forthcoming.
Intro & Background first.
I’m going to be posting an advanced Box Score during the playoffs
- Basic information: Player , Team, Game ID (Who,what and when)
- Classic Stats:Points ,Shots, Offensive Rebounds, Defensive Rebounds,Steals,Blocks, Assists (Because the classics are classics for a reason).
- Simple spins on classics: % of Team Minutes (player minutes as % of total minutes available), Position (average player position)
- Possesion and Play stats:
- Offensive Plays : Field Goal attempts + .434 Free Throw Attempts + Turnovers
- Usage of Offensive Plays : % of Offensive plays used by player when in the game
- All the classic Offensive Efficiency stats (and some slightly modded ones):
- Effective Field Goal %=(FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA
- True Shooting %=Pts / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA)
- Points per Shot = Pts/FGA
- Points per Offensive Play= Pts/Offensive Plays
- Do it Yourself Offensive Point Margin Stats:
- Offensive Point Margin: this is the marginal value created by the player per offensive play spent. The calculation is:
- OPM = (Points per Play for Player- Avg Points per play for Player for League)*Offensive Plays for Player
- Defensive Point Margin: this is the marginal value surrendered by the player per offensive play spent. The calculation is:
- DPM = (Points per Play for Opponent- Avg Points per play for Player for League)*Offensive Plays for Opponent. I’m doing this one by position averages per game.
- Combined Margin: this is just OPM-DPM
- Rebounding Rates: % of Rebounds on Offense, % of Rebounds on Defense.
- The Classic Wins Produced stats (explained here) and my own opponent adjusted Wins Produced Stats (explained here). The difference? Classic assumes the opposing player is average. Opponent adjusted goes out and checks by position.
Parking Lot items :
- Do DPM based on average points per play for opponent.
- Add other advanced metricss (PER,Win Shares,EZPM, etc.)
Remember kids, my tastes are reflected in this (and they may not line up with yours).
I encourage you to comment and make suggestions as the eventual goal is to build an automatic version of this.
The raw data is here as a google doc (it’ll be updated later)
And now the games for tonight.
Heat-Celts Game 2
Lebron was great. Bosh was great. Bibby and Wade were good. For Boston, Rondo was good but if Jeff Green is your second best player. *Sigh*….
Grizz-Thunder Game 2
Weird game. OKC jumped out to a big lead. Grizzlies showed they were tired. Then they managed to come back despite that. Didn’t have the energy to close it out and made some sloppy,sloppy plays. Still, anyone who watched that game has to think that Memphis is the better team at a neutral site. Conley and Gasol were good for Memphis. Harden and Maynor were the unlikely heroes in the OKC victory.
More goodness to come.
But later 🙂