Hell of a playoffs so far. It’s had everything.
Lots of goodies today.
Intro & Background first.
I’m going to be posting an advanced Box Score during the playoffs
- Basic information: Player , Team, Game ID (Who,what and when)
- Classic Stats:Points ,Shots, Offensive Rebounds, Defensive Rebounds,Steals,Blocks, Assists (Because the classics are classics for a reason).
- Simple spins on classics: % of Team Minutes (player minutes as % of total minutes available), Position (average player position)
- Possesion and Play stats:
- Offensive Plays : Field Goal attempts + .434 Free Throw Attempts + Turnovers
- Usage of Offensive Plays : % of Offensive plays used by player when in the game
- All the classic Offensive Efficiency stats (and some slightly modded ones):
- Effective Field Goal %=(FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA
- True Shooting %=Pts / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA)
- Points per Shot = Pts/FGA
- Points per Offensive Play= Pts/Offensive Plays
- Do it Yourself Offensive Point Margin Stats:
- Offensive Point Margin: this is the marginal value created by the player per offensive play spent. The calculation is:
- OPM = (Points per Play for Player- Avg Points per play for Player for League)*Offensive Plays for Player
- Defensive Point Margin: this is the marginal value surrendered by the player per offensive play spent. The calculation is:
- DPM = (Points per Play for Opponent- Avg Points per play for Player for League)*Offensive Plays for Opponent. I’m doing this one by position averages per game.
- Combined Margin: this is just OPM-DPM
- Rebounding Rates: % of Rebounds on Offense, % of Rebounds on Defense.
- The Classic Wins Produced stats (explained here) and my own opponent adjusted Wins Produced Stats (explained here). The difference? Classic assumes the opposing player is average. Opponent adjusted goes out and checks by position.
Parking Lot items :
- Do DPM based on average points per play for opponent.
- Add other advanced metricss (PER,Win Shares,EZPM, etc.)
Remember kids, my tastes are reflected in this (and they may not line up with yours).
I encourage you to comment and make suggestions as the eventual goal is to build an automatic version of this.
The raw data is here as a google doc (i’ll update it a little later)
And now the games for tonight.
Chicago-Indiana Game 4
Chicago and the MVP were going for the Sweep. But a funny thing happened on the road to Albuquerque. Rose twisted an ankle. Darren Collinson said not so fast there, sport. The ending is still inevitable but the Pacers get a reprieve.
Dallas-Portland Game 4
I’ll have two of whatever they gave Brandon Roy (I need them for Shaq actually🙂 ). This was an unbelievable game to watch live. Dallas could not buy a bucket (seriously, just give it to Dirk, how hard can that be to understand?). Brandon Roy was like a character from NBA Jam. He was on fire (which is fitting for Rip City’s Blazers). I’m glad I have Dallas in 7.
Memphis-San Antonio Game 3
Z-Bo for three? Really? WTF? Having picked my horse in this race, I’ll take it. Duncan was great but so was Conley. In the end with a little luck and whatever the hell that was on the final play by Manu, Memphis held serve.
OKC- Denver Game 3
These late games kill me. I end up rewriting the blurbs like ten times.
Hostile crowd. Great opponent. Worst possible situation. Dead Legs. OKC still got it done. I picked the wrong team out of this series to go all the way to the Finals (particularly since all the calls seem to be going in one direction).
Ibaka is a game changer. Rodman type defensive skills and energy. None of the offensive limitations. Did I mention he’s twenty one?
Every Geberal Manager in the Western Conference just took a swig.
Oh well. Live and learn. Hard to identify when a young team makes the leap sometimes.
Here’s a bonus because you’ve been good boys and girls.
Player Standings thru the Playoffs so Far:
Oh, and I updated the Wins Produced by month gadget.
Now with more data and by team.
200% more addictive and distracting!
I apologize to your loved ones in advance (again).